Sunday 6 September 2020

September Thoughts

So, back in March we thought lockdown would only be for a couple of months! But here we are in September with new rules being fired at us daily. Hopefully, readers have been gobbling up novels to keep the book industry going.

Things are slowly getting better. I am back at my dancing lessons and I am re-starting my Creative Writing Meetings, taking care to respect the two metre distancing. Surprisingly, time has flown by and I haven’t found myself looking for something to do. Lockdown has been good in some ways: I sorted out my website, produced a small book of reminiscences for my family and tidied my office. The latter task was long overdue. I have missed the freedom of meeting up with family and friends and now, when I do, it seems strange and slightly awkward.

Everything has gone ‘online’, which is alright for some but not so good for others. I have taken advantage of grocery deliveries but I still prefer to browse the shelves. As for buying clothes, that’s a nightmare because without Fitting Rooms you have to traipse back and forth to return unsuitable purchases which I’m afraid happens to me a lot.

On a more positive note, there have been a few new businesses opening and, as our gardens have seen the benefit of more attention, I think garden centres have flourished. But our town has changed with shops and restaurants boarded up and cycle lanes popping up all over the place. So far, only a few cyclists in sight!



Oh well, I suppose we just have to soldier on…

No comments:

Post a Comment